Kathi and I recently attended the big rock and mineral show that takes place here in Denver each September. It is considered to be the second largest show in the country (after Tucson), and gets bigger every year.
We are very fortunate to live only about 40 minutes away from the general area of the action, which is really a combination of five major shows for the most part. The longest running of these shows now covers nine days.
We came home with a load of amazing acquisitions, and will be getting them up on the website as quickly as we can. Things to look forward to include:
- Ocean Jasper Drusy specimens. We have been out of these for some time and are really glad to have them again.
- Polished Quartz, Amethyst, and Green Fluorite Points.
- Stunning large Silver Sheen Obsidian Palm Stones.
- Stromatolite Palm Stones.
- Yellow Feather, Royal Sahara, Sarape, Owyhee Picture, and Imperial Jasper Palm Stones.
- Brazilian, Condor, Durango, Montana, Nebraska Prairie, Mozambique, and Red Moss Agate Palm Stones.
Of particular note is a selection of over 140 hand-picked pieces of Iris Agate. This is an Agate from Brazil that has a diffraction grating structure and shows full spectrum rainbow colors when light shines through the stone. We recently placed one of these at auction on eBay and had more page views and watchers than we have ever had on any stone.
- Snowflake and Mahogany Obsidian Palm Stones.
- Zebra Stone Palm Stones.
- Smaller Pyrite Crystals.
- Rainbow Fluorite Slabs.
- Rainbow Moonstone Spheres.
Also worth special note is a huge selection of drop dead gorgeous perfectly clean and beautifully polished Puffy Hearts in several varieties that we have never seen as nice before.
- Petrified Wood Palm Stones/Slabs.
- Green, Blue, and Rainbow Fluorite, Sardonyx, and Apatite mini-Palm Stones.
- One of the best finds was a large bunch of hand-picked Arfvedsonite Palm Stones that appear to have traces of Astrophyllite in them.
We also acquired some beautiful rough specimens. These include Rose Quartz, Chevron Amethyst, and Holly Blue Agate with beautiful drusy crystals.
Our local friends will be glad to know that we brought home more of the incredible Enhydro Geodes from Brazil. If we can ever figure out how to ship them without the risk of freezing, they will make a great addition to the website.
Many clients have asked when our new treasures will be up in the store, and all that we can promise is that we will add them as soon as possible. It is a tedious process that we have to fit in between eBay auction cycles, shows, direct sales, and life. We appreciate your patience, and history has shown that the end result is almost always worth the wait.
We just finished a significant upgrade of our KathisKrystals.com website.
Although Kathi has handled upgrades on her own in the past, there was so much that needed to done this time that we hired a web developer for the job. We got lucky and picked a real pro.
Undergoing such a process with a website that is as important to us as is this one is, well, stressful to say the least. We have something like 40,000 photos on the site, and even though we always maintain backups, one just never knows for sure until the new site is up and running smoothly.
We have had to change web hosts in the past due to poor performance, and we do everything that we can to insure that the site is safe, fast, easy to understand, and simple to navigate. We sincerely believe that we have one of the most elegant rock and mineral websites going, and hope that you enjoy browsing the incredible stones.
The upgraded site has many important new features, many of which you will not see, and many of which you will.
Besides the many technical improvements, there are several features which make the site more user friendly and simply more fun. These include:
- The inclusion of Social Media in order to provide a more interactive nature to the site.
- The addition of this blog in order to provide more frequent and more in-depth communication to our clients.
- When looking at the various stones, the coolest new feature has to be what is called the “Lightbox”. When clicking through to one particular stone (on what we call an item page), if you click on any of the thumbnail photos of the piece, an enlarged picture will quickly open up in a very pretty window against a darkened background. Further, if you then click anywhere on the left or right side of that enlarged photo, the feature will immediately switch to the previous or next picture in the grouping.
- On any page where we show a list of all of the various offerings for one particular kind of stone (say Blue Lace Agate Palms), you now have the option of viewing that page in list or grid form. The default is set to list, but one quick click will change it to grid format if you so desire.
- Also on those same pages, there is now a drop down menu so that you can order the offerings in different ways. This is much like how one can order searched items on eBay.
- For our international clients there is a huge fix. Our previous shipping module, which is our connection to the U.S. Postal Service, did not offer First Class Shipping quotes for international orders… only Priority Mail which is prohibitively expensive for cross-border mailings. Our new module does offer International First Class shipping quotes.
- The page is now wider for easier and more typical viewing.
There are other smaller changes which, we think, make the site more pleasing to browse and easier on the eye.
If you ever have trouble with the website or have any suggestions as to how it could be improved, please do not hesitate to let us know. We want your visit to Kathi’s Krystals to be as enjoyable as it possibly can be.